1 – Tzatziki Sauce a.k.a Greek Cucumber and Yogurt Sauce:
This creamy cool sauce is often served as a condiment on Greek Gyro sandwiches. This recipe calls for Greek Cheese or Greek yogurt, a thicker yogurt. However, if you can’t find it, you can use regular, plain yogurt. Suspend the yogurt in quadrupled cheesecloth for a couple of hours to drain the excess water and get that Greek Cheese consistency, like sour cream. If you don’t mind a runny sauce, then you can make it as it is.
Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 3 hrs.
1 garlic clove, minced
1 large English cucumber (the long, skinny ones), peel and dice
1 tablespoon fresh dill or
1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped.
1 tablespoon salt (for salting cucumbers)
3 cups of Greek yogurt (Yogurt Cheese)
3 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon, juiced) Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the cucumber cubes in a colander. Sprinkle with the salt to draw out the water. Cover with a plate and set something heavy on top of the plate; let sit for 30 minutes. Drain well and wipe dry using paper towels.
- In a blender or s food processor, process the cucumbers, lemon juice, garlic, mint and/or dill, and few grinds black peppers until well blended. Stir the mixture into the yogurt. Taste and add more salt, if needed. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to blend the favors.
Notes: This can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days; just drain any water and stir each time you use it.
Nutrition Information per serving: 5 cal., 0 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 582 mg sodium, 1.3 g total carb., o.1 g fiber, o.5 g sugar, and o.2 g protein.
2 – Creamy Yogurt Dressing:
This dressing is creamy, tangy, and light. Pair this with cucumber, arugula, and shredded romaine lettuce salad. It’s also delicious with grilled meats, and just about anything.
Makes: 4-5 salads
Prep: 15 min
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, from one lemon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, best quality
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
1/2 cup Greek yogurt, plain, whole-milk
1 teaspoon minced garlic, (2 cloves)
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar,
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl; whisk to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Notes: This dressing can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Nutrition Information per serving: 128 cal., 12 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 3 g carbs., 2 g sugar, 0 g fiber, 2 g protein, 4 mg chol., and 247 mg salt.
3 – Greek Vinaigrette:
In just minutes, you can whip up a vinaigrette with authentic Greek flavor. This is great with tomato, fresh mozzarella, and mixed greens salad or on sliced tomatoes.
Makes: 1 1/4 cups
Prep: 15 min Ingredients:
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 teaspoon fresh oregano,
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram (optional)
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
3/4 cup olive oil
Freshly ground pepper, to taste Salt, to taste
Directions: Except for the olive oil, salt, and pepper, combine all of the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until the mixture is blended; season with salt and pepper to taste.
Notes: Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 7 days.
Nutrition Information per serving: 270 cal., 30.3 total fat (4.4 sat. fat), 34 mg chol., 1.3 total carb., o.2 g protein, 1% vitamin A, 8% vitamin C, 1% calcium, and 2% iron.
4 – Cilantro-Lime Dressing:
This dressing is a copycat of a famous food chain’s recipe for their grilled chicken salad. This is perfect for a quick dinner of grilled boneless chicken breasts served with a hearty green salad.
Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 30 min
1 clove garlic
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, packed
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
3/4 teaspoon fresh ginger root, minced
- Place the ginger, garlic, and jalapeno pepper into a blender or a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Except for the oil, add the rest of the ingredients; pulse for a few times to blend. Turn on the blender, slowly drizzle the olive oil or until well blended; season with salt to taste and serve.
Nutrition Information per serving: 115 cal., 9.4 total fat (1.3 sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 38 mg sodium, 8.5 g carbs., 8 g sugar, 0.1 g fiber, and o.1 g protein.
5 – Lemon Garlic Dressing:
This is a mild and fresh dressing. It’s perfect with a fresh garden salad. It’s also delicious with bread, pizza, noodles, and more.
Makes: 4-6 servings
Prep: 5 min
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
- Chop the garlic; place in the bowl and add the salt. Crush the garlic and the salt, until the mixture is a paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients; stir and serve with your dish.
Nutrition Information per serving: 91 cal., 10.1 g fat (17.9 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 581.7 mg sodium, 0.6 g carbs., 0 g fiber, 0.1 g sugar, and 0.1 g protein.